Senior Mechanical Engineer - San Diego
Summary of Functions:
- Lead the mechanical efforts associated with new product designs and modifications. Interface with program management, customers, functional engineering groups, manufacturing, and suppliers.
- Review and critique product specifications and work statements. Plan mechanical engineering work efforts to meet budget and schedule requirements. Maintain project schedules and report progress as required. Estimate material and fabrication costs.
- Develop and present design and test concepts independently or with other engineers and designers. Present design reviews.
- Perform shock/stress and thermal analyses using FEA, CFD and/or classical methods in support of the design process.
- Create solid models of assemblies and parts. Work with drafters/designers to generate production drawings. Maintain Computer generated CAD files according to company standards.
- Check and review drawings, BOMS, analysis reports, test procedures, and engineering deliverables for compliance to specifications and accuracy.
- Participate in prototype builds and troubleshoot. Disposition fabrication discrepancies.
- Plan, write test procedures and conduct environmental tests (shock/vibration, thermal, leak-tight integrity). Design test fixtures. Write test reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Will work with Program Managers, Product Managers, Customers and other departments to identify, design and then verify designs. Will lead Mechanical Engineering efforts from inception to production as well as perform design and engineering duties. Will have full project responsibility on some projects and will work as a member of a design team on others. In this role, the senior mechanical engineer will ensure that products meet technical requirements while adhering to budgets and schedules. The duties will require direction of designers and engineers in a technical capacity. Responsibilities include technical management and engineering of rugged enclosures for military and commercial applications. This individual will perform a wide variety of engineering tasks including: specification review; design and detailing; shock/vibration and thermal analyses, conduct design reviews, write test procedures, support shop activities, and perform tests.
Must coordinate with various departments, such as, Sales, Program Management, Quality, Materials and Manufacturing
Experience / Education Requirements:
- BSME and 8+ year's experience in a related field.
- Experience in the design and manufacture of Sheet Metal Enclosures for Electronics is required.
- Experience in the design and manufacture of Rack Mount Computer Products preferred.
- Must have solid experience in selection of materials, welding, sheet metal forming, casting, machining and must be well versed in machine shop practices.
- Experience in fastened and glued joint design is desired.
- Must be familiar with standard engineering and drafting concepts, practices, and, procedures within a manufacturing environment. ASME Y14.5M-1994 GD&T
- Good working knowledge of commercial, military, and government specifications is required. Specific experience designing to AWS, RTCA-DO-160E, MIL-STD 901D (Navy), MIL-STD 167/1, MIL-STD-810E, ANSI/EIA RS310-C, ARINC, IEEE is preferred.
- Excellent writing and communication skills are essential.
- Desired software: SolidWorks and/or Pro-E, COSMOS, CFDesign, MS Project, MS Excel, MS Word, ability with PLC(S).
An Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.
U.S Citizenship is required.
Relocation Assistance is not available for this position
NOTE: (No Office Walk-ins) (Appointments Only)
Send this job offer
to a Friend
Click here if interested